Saturday, December 1, 2012

Happy Antarctica Day!

December 1st is the official Antarctica day! This day marks an anniversary of the Antarctic Treaty, which was signed in 1959. This Antarctica Day is special for me - I will get to go to the ice in a couple of weeks.

In preparation for my journey I am compiling a list of things to take with me on my first trip down south. CDC (clothing distribution center) will issue all the essentials, but I am keep asking colleagues and friends who have been there before to share their insights. So if you have anything to share - please feel free to comment.


What I will be given at CDC:
- big red parka
- snow/wind pants or overalls
- white bunny boots or blue FDX boots
- gloves
- balaclava (although people are saying it's not very good, so I should take my own)
- googles
- 1-2 pairs of socks
- one pair of thermal underwear
- fleece shirt (2-3?)
- fleece pants (?)
- overnight kit, including tent, sleeping bag, etc.

What I need to bring with me: 
- hat  
- neck warmer
- thermal underwear (2-3 pairs of tops and bottoms)
- fleece jacket
- down vest/jacket
- snow pants
- wool socks (2-3 pairs)
- hiking shoes for trails and walking around the station
- sneakers for running/inside
- slippers
- silk liner for the sleeping bag
- personal toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner)
- personal first aid kit
- moisturizer for skin, hands, face, lipbalm with SPF (take spares!)
- sunblock
- sunglasses
- normal clothes (jeans+sweater) to wear inside (2 sets)
- eye patch for sleeping
- ear plugs for loud flights
- bath towel
- fun clothes (to celebrate New Years -  the bear hat was not an impulse buy, I need it!)
- water bottle
- coffee mug
- good quality dark chocolate 
- LARGE USB thumbdrive to copy pictures, music and movies off people
- external HDD
- computer (with offline work and entertainment)
- camera (I am leaning toward a simple pocket-size point-and-shoot)
- chargers (extra for camera)
- battery-powered alarm-clock with spare batteries
- postal stamps to send my friends postcards from Antarctica
- address book with friend's addresses ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment