Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Exploring McMurdo

It has been three days since we arrived at McMurdo. Because of the holidays I am only doing snow school tomorrow and after that I will be allowed to do field work. So I have spent these few days exploring McMurdo and the surrounding area, catching up on the project and learning how things work down here.

When you arrive at the station you are greeted at the Chalet - the main administration building. It is the building with the pretty terrace and flags. There is also a monument for Byrd - a first pilot to fly over the South Pole.





Orientation takes about an hour and then you get the keys to your dorm and can go pick up your luggage.

Another really important building in McMurdo is building 155 - that is where the galley (cafeteria) is located. Usually McMurdo station operates on 6-working day schedule with Sunday being a day off. When we got there, however, Sunday was a working day due to upcoming New Year holidays.

Cafeteria (galley) reminds me of my college years. Food is ok, abundant and somewhat variable (e.g. there is at least two dishes to choose from at every meal). The day I got in I was eating way too much - I guess my body went into panic mode "cold temperatures, help, eat lots". I hope I am adjusted now.


The galley is also the place for community gatherings. There is a science lecture every Sunday night. Targeted at general audience these lectures are a great way to learn about what others are doing. I have attended one on killer whales - very interesting and picturesque.

Outside the galley there are tons of announcements about things that are going on. including an updated head count of the town population:



I have an office in Crary lab - a scientific building. We have great space for lab and cargo. Zozo got really excited and tested what it is like to be inside a weather station. Since quite a few people asked I will try to write a separate post about what I actually do down here.




There are a few trails around McMurdo. A few do not require any additional training or equipment, while for longer hikes you need to check out a radio at the fire station.



One of the shorter ones is called "Hut Point" - it leads to Scott's hut. The Hut was open on December 31 and I got to go inside. There are quite a few things left by the Scott expedition, so I took a lot of pictures. I will try to write a separate post on that.

Another trail is called "Obs hill"- a steep climb up the Observational hill. On a good weather day it gives you a great look around. I climbed it in a cloudy day - so here is a picture of Zozo flying over McTown.


The big blue building is number 155 - the galley. Crary lab is a three leveled building (Zozo's nose is pointing toward it). My office is on the middle level.

On top of the Ob hill there's a cross to commemorate Scott's expedition that made it to the South pole, but never made it back home. The sign on the cross reads:

"To strive, to seek, to fine and not to yield"
This is the last line of the "Ulyses" poem by Alfred, Lord Tennyson written in 1833. The Russian translation of this phrase is the motto for Kaverin's novel "Два Капитана" and later on "Nord Ost" musical: "Бороться и искать, найти и не сдаваться"
This was a perfect way to say good bye to 2012!

On December 31 there is a music festival going on all night - it is called Ice Stock and it is a lot of fun. Here is Zozo rocking into the night (and you can see the Obs hill in the background).

Happy New Year everyone!


I am off to the snow school tomorrow and I will not have any computer access. I'm really excited!
Till later,
M

2 comments:

  1. Yep, still reading!

    Zozo is just too cute. I've found a couple McMurdo webcams, too. I'd have a tough time with so much light in January.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eye patches do a wonderful job! and it's really great to wake up to daylight. And also it's quite handy to have daylight at night in case you need to do something. I am loving it!

      Delete